Tuesday, February 15, 2011

SSRJ #4 : MINOT



            Lust is defined as self-indulgent sexual desire or to have a craving, appetite, or great desire for. My initial reaction to this story was that this was not lust. In the beginning yes, towards the end it all seemed to blend together, not a desire, or craving but simply as routine as brushing your teeth in the morning. An element that stood out as particularly interesting was even though the story was about one girl, who remained nameless and faceless, she seemed to represent all girls in the age group, or all girls at her school. She was an upper class, well-educated girl given wonderful opportunities to excel, yet when a boy put his arm around her she forgot about everything around her except for that guy during that time. Being a teenager I relate to the situations that these people are placed in. Although I do not agree with the way these actions were played out, I have to say that I know people in these positions. It is sad to see it happen around you but it also seems like you cannot change it if you were to try. I do see that the amount of partners a person has, the reaction is very bias from gender. A man can have many and seem like a god, but when a girl has even a small amount they are seen as, “whores, or sluts,” and are talked down to or treated badly.
            The literary element that stood out to me the most was setting. Lust took place in a boarding school, filled with upper class, well educated, young men and women. It seems like the author was grouping the characters to let them represent all teens in these demographics.
            The only thing that did not make sense to me, was at the end when the girls were talking to the house mother, it almost seemed like she was saying their behavior was okay, or that they were to deliver babies. I’m wondering if she was suggesting women were only meant for procreation, or if anyone saw it this way? 

2 comments:

  1. I think that Mrs.Gunther was telling the girls that while they feel like they always have to deliver(in a sexual way), the only thing they have to deliver is babies, when their MARRIED. I think it was her way of telling them that they really should wait.

    I agree that the amount of partners someone has is judged by their gender, but I think the narrator of this story took it too far. She blames society for being biased when it comes to sexual partners and she blames men for tempting her and not wanting the relationship. But she never realizes that she only has herself to blame for not stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3) You supply some really great insight to this story. I feel that I really relate to the narrator. She and I both lose sight of ourselves as soon as a boy comes along. I love how you described that! That is something I have always known was true about myself, but didn't know how to put it into words. I wonder, do you think the narrator would be considered a "slut" in school? Or do you think that all her friends were in similar positions and she was accepted?

    ReplyDelete