Tuesday, February 1, 2011

SSRJ #1: Chopin





When I first began to read Chopin’s story I felt uncomfortable with the given situation. As it started off,  I edged towards remorse due to the fact that I have recently lost someone but it all turned to questions when she yelled she was free.  I can’t say I understand personally, but the time period was different and women didn’t have the choice of separation from a bad situation, which was almost given by the description of the beauty she saw when first looked outside.
The element that stood out as interesting to me was the irony of the situation. Although not given much information of the husband, or why she seemed free when notified of his passing, with the information given, I found it interesting when she died at the end.  Her death was questionable as well though, given it could have been to shock of seeing her dead husband, all that is implied is she is now trapped again.
In my own life, the only situations this made me think about, being a different time period, was women who stay with their husbands after they cheat. Due to the fact that this was written in 1894, I can’t say I have a personal experience, or could even imagine what it must have felt like to lose and regain a husband within a matter of minutes.  If i had to ask a question, it would be where her husband was, that made him be so far away from the scene of the accident, that he did not know there had been one.

No comments:

Post a Comment